Thursday, May 19, 2011

Day 11

Today was dedicated to the Vietnam War, or as its called here the American War. We visited the Cu Chi tunnels in the morning. They were constructed by the Vietnamese to fight the Americans. It is 250 km of intricate tunnels running underground with air shafts and some rooms. The original openings for the tunnels are very small and are concealed with little doors and leaves, they were meant so only Vietnamese could fit in them. The tunnel system allowed them to get directly into American camps without breaking the perimeter.

In the afternoon we went to the War Remnants Museum which had war vehicles and many pictures and information about the war. Most of the museum was dedicated to the Vietnamese perspective of the war which was hard but necessary to learn about because I have mostly just been shown the American view. Visiting this museum has definitely given me more of a perspective of the war and changed some preconceived thoughts.

Tonight we are going to take our Vietnamese friends out to dinner at a beer garden that was recommended from last years group. Then we will all probably hang out because it is our second to last night in Vietnam :( I am upset to leave and wish I could stay longer because I still feel like there is a lot just in Ho Chi Minh City to see and experience not even including the rest of the country which I would have liked to travel through. I guess I will have to come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment